DAVID SLATER


         It had been a photography trip much like many others experienced nature and wildlife Professional Photographer David Slater. He was visiting the Isle of Sulawesi, part of the Sunda Islands in Indonesia, and had just left a conservation project in the south of the island where he had been photographing rare Buton Macaques. Little did he know that he was going to cap-ture an image that would launch him into the public eye. 'I had monkeys on the brain so when that finished I went to the north of the island as I already knew how photogenic the Crested Blacks which reside in that area are. I had planned to be in the area for almost a week, but after three days we managed to track a troupe of them down, shadowing them through the thick jungle until they got used to our company.

     'One day we took a break and the monkeys became interested - grooming me and using my camera as a toy, and in fact stealing my camera causing my guide to quickly get it back.' It's all very well having a playful monkey toying with your camera, but how exactly did the budding primate David Bailey manage to get a crisp shot so nearly perfectly framed? Well, it turns out that a bit of preparation and intervention from Slater helped.

      'I wanted to get a really close-up shot of their faces, so used a wide angle lens - the only way I could then do this was to put the camera down and stand back, otherwise they would grab me or maybe nip me with their teeth. I had all the eye-focus points active, a large aperture selected, flashgun ready, cable release attached and so on, prepared for the shot. They were soon admiring themselves in the reflection of the lens - they got interested in the cable release and bingo, they got the shots themselves!'

     Despite having a uncanny ability to get the subject to take the shots themselves - which is incredibly useful as a nature Professional Photographer - Slater has made a name for himself as being one of the leading nature Professional Photo-graphers in the UK. Slater has a devotion to the wild world around him which in turn helps him capture some truly captivating images. Where did it all Professional Photographer begin?

     'I joined a walking club when I was 14 and I used to observe the adults in the group taking photos of mountains and the general environment. They had a photo competition every year which I attended, and after a few years the chairman of the club began giving me his old cameras so I could participate. The first of these was his old Box Brownie, which was soon replaced by a Zenith.
'I had to learn the long and very expensive way how to get a properly exposed shot with the depth of field I wanted. It was tough to afford slide film and developing costs as a youngster, and then as a student at university.'

     
Despite all of the financial pressures of photography, and also the fact that he lacked any kind of conventional training, Slater was soon building a career out of photographing the subjects he loved. So which of these subjects holds the dearest place in his affections? 'Well, all things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small. Although my current sympathies are with my local population of wild boar - who are being savagely culled at the moment perhaps back to extinction. I am most happy when the light is special and I have a striking subject.' With such a diverse range of subjects falling into Slater's focus "I am most happy the light is special and I have a striking subject"
- just one look at his website will attest to the true depth and breadth of his back catalogue
- external demands are currently helping to focus on where exactly he'll be shooting.

     'Times are still tough financially so I have to make a calculation weighing up the potential travel costs of any trip and then compare it to the sale ability of the image. A considered approach to planning his photographic trips is reflected when Slater talks about his workflow on and after a conventional shoot. 'I keep everything as simple as possible, from start to finish. I rarely machine gun the subject on continuous mode, and ruthlessly delete in camera when I get the chance. It is a rare day I will fill a 4GB card, and more often it will be half that. This helps in making the computer side manageable, as I know so many Professional Photographers who get behind with processing so that it becomes a chore.

     
'When I sit at my computer, I look at my Raw files and delete again anything not sharp or poorly composed. I adjust the black and white point, maybe recover any blown highlights, add some vibrancy or saturation, contrast, brighten up a bit then open in Photoshop. Here I generally play with colour balance and sharpening just a little. I don't print anything, but I do get the images ready for my agents, all at the same time.'

     With trips to Scandinavia and Spain planned in the near future, as well as a return to Sulawesi on the horizon, Slater was already keeping himself busy before the new-found fame of the monkey photograph was sprung upon him. But what advice does he have for anyone who might want to follow in his footsteps?
     'The main thing is to be sure that you enjoy being outdoors and being prepared to go home without the shot. Buy the best equipment you can afford and keep saving - more so nowadays because it is getting expensive in terms of travel, so plan your trips well. .Learn to become truly surroundings for the joyful experience of it all, as this is far better than learning from books or talking to others. 'Remember there are no rules in nature and shouldn't rules photography - it's all about the senses and trying to record it.'

   David runs regular one-to-one wildlife photography workshops. For more information  visit here

Related Posts

DAVID SLATER
4/ 5
Oleh