Food Photography is a Real Struggle for Me

I started this blog in 2004 (during my University days) with the intention of keeping an online diary, recording in detail of my every day adventures, where I went, whom I have met, what interesting activities I participated in, any exciting events that happened and most importantly, to remember the delicious food that I have eaten. As a typical blogger who regularly posted photographs of food once upon a time, I have often found myself struggling to shoot a decent photograph of food. The struggle is very real, I can spend 5 minutes in front of a beautiful plate of noodles under majestic available light and I have trouble nailing a good shot. What happens next? All the photos were discarded and never made it here. Only very selective few survived the brutal filtering process and these shots are being compiled into this blog entry. 

I know some of you will roll your eyes and say "oh typical Asians who shoot food photos" and this scenario cannot be illustrated better in this short done by WongfuProductions. Food is a huge part of culture and you can share that through photographs. I do think food photography is art and not an easy one to master. Evidently there are just too many "average" and well..... less than average food shots being shared. I have always envied my friends like Jasonmumbles (who no longer blogs about food, boooo), whom I have learned a great deal from, and more recently Anna and Carmen both always enthusiastically shooting and blogging about food in Malaysia. 

My biggest problem with food photography is composition. This is the first time I am compiling all of "ok can make it at least for this blog entry" food photographs together and they all look almost the same in terms of angle and perspective of view. I really should explore different composition options and more creative angles. This is easier said than done! I have in fact experimented with so many alternatives and they all come out... unusable. At the same time I have always wanted to take good food photographs. 

Why shoot food photographs you ask? Because I am a food lover and I believe we live to eat. I have frequently shouted: Shoot What You Love. 

Roasted Duck Slices at Roost, Bangsar
This image was shot at 40MP High Resolution with E-M5 Mark II and printed large 60"x40" for the use in Olympus events. This is the only image in this series that is entirely straight out of camera JPEG with no additional processing. 



Heavy Breakfast (Do not remember the name, no longer on menu the last time I checked) at Chinoz On the Park, KLCC

Salmon Don at Taka, Perth, Western Australia 
I frequent this budget-friendly Japanese place back in the old days)


Sarawak Kolo Mee, Choon Hui Cafe, Kuching
Breakfast of Champions, only to be challenged by Sarawak Laksa, which I do not have a good photo yet. 

Cao Lau, Hoi An, Vietnam

Kin Kin Chilli Pan Mee, Kin Kin Restaurant, Chow Kit, KL. 
My usual breakfast before attacking the streets in Chow Kit!

Overpriced Breakfast at  Quar/tet, TTDI , a popular trend growing in KL. 

Big Breakfast, superbly overpriced at VCR Bukit Bintang, KL

Plain old Steak at Outback Steakhouse, Nu Sentral, KL

Steak Burger at Outback Steakhouse, Nu Sentral KL

Paleo Chicken in Eggplant Sandwich at Awesome Canteen, PJ

Cendol in Penang Streets

Tiramisu at Chao Italia, Mill Point, Western Australia

An Overpriced Coffee which can be found everywhere in KL now. 

Do you shoot food? Are you good in food photography? Do share some pointers, I would love to learn!

Related Posts

Food Photography is a Real Struggle for Me
4/ 5
Oleh