Malaysia BERSIH 4.0 - Cry of Malaysians

Important Note: In case you have not noticed I have blogged about Bersih 3.0 previously, you can read my coverage here. 

Before I begin, allow me to clarify a few things. Freedom of speech is dead in Malaysia, all media is censored, and controlled by the ruling government. Any attempts at speaking ill at them will result in the said media, be it mainstream publication or a harmless online blog, much like this one you are reading now, silenced. The control over what is being written and published is absolute. Therefore, I shall compose this blog entry carefully, as I do intend to continue blogging in a foreseeable long future. 

If you have followed what has been happening in Malaysia, you will find all kinds of news pointing toward corruption and abuse of power by the current government. I shall not go into details about the accusations (made by Wall Street Journal and several other fully valid, legitimate parties. both locally in Malaysia as well as outside), but it has come to a point that the people can no longer sit still and not do anything. As a Malaysian, I too am faced with deep frustration at the current state of the country, which I have mentioned recently, is falling apart. 

Therefore, Malaysians got together for this one gigantic rally, Bersih 4 (you can read more here) to show our protest. You can also read the full objectives and demands of the Bersih 4 rally in the provided link. Bersih 4.0 happened at Dataran Merdeka and all locations adjacent to it, or leading to it, on 29th and 30th Auguest 2015. The nation celebrates the Independence day tomorrow, 31st August 2015. 

The theme of Bersih has always been Yellow. Hence, if you find that the photographs are on the warmer side of color balance, it was not the white balance issue. Joke aside, it was quite mind blowing seeing so many Malaysians all dressed up in Yellow, came together hand in hand, Estimated attendance was about 300,000 strong Malaysians. 

I brought along the new Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II and M.Zuiko lenses 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 and 45mm F1.8 to cover this event. 


Interesting things and activities did happen from time to time, and the crowd was never bored. 


I guess the placard is self-explanatory. Explains exactly how we all, Malaysians feel. 

The favourite pose of the day was the number 4. 

Roughly translates to the RM2.6 Billion embezzlement  and to take down the GST which was recently implemented. 

There were quite a number of elders who participated. 

V for Vendetta is a powerful movie, a huge inspiration for us Malaysians. 

I have considered wrapping myself in Sarawakian flag, since it is predominantly yellow! Should have thought of this earlier. 

2 days can be tiring. 

Everything can be turned yellow for the day

Malaysia is our country, we do care about Malaysia. We carry our flag with pride. 

not sure why people are using the vuvuzela, that thing is freaking annoying! It should be banned. 

Playing music from recycled instruments. 

Playing instruments and music in a large group of people. 

I wish to see more Malaysians wrap themselves in Malaysian flag though

Some political speech happening there and here. Even the former prime minister, Tun Dr Mahathir (not this picture, I did not have the chance to shoot him) made appearance on both days. 

Yellow Wig!

It rained quite heavily, but the people still marched on

The woman in the picture is the current prime minster's wife. 

Tweety Bird is not spared. 

The largest motivation for people to go out and protest: that RM2.6 Billion money from Malaysians, swallowed by ONE person. Yeap directly into his pocket. 

I don't think you will ever see more Malaysians in an occasion than this. 

The crowd going strong


"save Malaysia" says the head band

Fight the future!

Bersih 4.0



A young warrior. Yes, even kids need to worry about their future, now especially true in Malaysia. 

Support for the speakers. 

Malaysian Flags never looked so good on us Malaysians. 



I don't agree to bringing kids to this rally (in case things get rough), but thankfully the protest was a peaceful one. 

That is one creepy looking V. 

Newscaster about to go on air. 

Speaking from the opposition side of things. 

Attentive audience. 

In Chinese, we have this proverb: "People Mountain, People Sea"

I was just too far away from the main stage and I did not plan to go near. 


View form outside a nearby train station, Masjid Jamek (which also happens to be my street hunting ground)

Want to do a head count? This is just perhaps, 10% of the people there or less. View from the top of the train station. 

This was on the other side of the train station, same station as the previous shot. 

I only ask one thing of you, beautiful readers (I know a huge majority of you are not from Malaysia), to help share this blog entry as far and as wide as you can. I seldom make this kind of request, and you know when I do, it is something extremely important to me. We, Malaysians need the world to know that we are not doing ok, we are in trouble, and we need help. The more the world knows about the desperate situation in Malaysia is, the more pressure there will be for a change. We need the awareness and you can help make this happen. So I beg you, please share this. 

Here is me hoping, and wishing for a better Malaysia tomorrow. The country is in desperate times now, and I am seriously worried for the future, as well as mine in this country. 

May God help us all. 

Related Posts

Malaysia BERSIH 4.0 - Cry of Malaysians
4/ 5
Oleh